Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Technology and the Future

It is truly amazing to me how fast technology is moving nowadays. As soon as we get used to a new medium of entertainment, driving, or what have you, something new comes out. Last week in the New York Times, there was an article highlighting the new "3-D television" that would soon be released. The author of the article mentioned that everyone had just gone out and bought new blue ray disc players, believing that those would keep them in the loop for the next 10 years. However, with the new 3-D TV, another form of disc player would be required.


Is all these new inventions and ideas making this world a better place? Or is it just allowing us to become more lazy and slaves to technology and our credit cards? I'll admit, I love technology. I find myself always buying the newest phones, having the coolest blog, or saving up to buy some cool gadget I saw. Can you blame me? With every other advertisement in magazines or commercial on television telling us that we can't be happy without these items, it is hard not to be brainwashed.


I love my cell phone. I love my  laptop. Honestly, I cannot even fathom how people lived without them. My dad has yet to ever own a cell phone because he believes that he has gotten this far in life without one, why get one now? I call him crazy, but maybe he is on to something. As wonderful as technology is, I believe it has hindered many people's abilities to think for themselves, communicate with others, and enjoy the simple things in life. People are constantly texting, tweeting, and instant messaging. Whatever happened to calling up an old friend to talk, or writing a hand written letter? I get so excited when I get a letter in the mail, despite the fact that I get hundreds of emails a month. There's just something more personal about it.


In class today we were talking about the Amazon Kindle, and also the potential of the rumored Mac Tablet. Both remarkable inventions that make reading books, newspapers, and magazines so much easier. The Mac Tablet has the potential of being a must-have for college students and their textbooks in years to come. However, are these devices the beginning of the end of printed novels? Will libraries and bookstores start shutting down, because people prefer the convenience of downloading a book to one of these products rather than driving to town to pick up a new book? Who am I to say; But I believe it's a possibility, and a sad one at that.


Am I saying that I hate technology and think we should all go back to the stone age (or before the 1990's. You know, practically the same thing)? No, not at all. Technology has made life so much easier, and will continue to do so. I'm quite addicted to it, to be honest. But I do propose that maybe we remember things from the past every now and then. Sit down and watch the evening news instead of waiting for the latest and greatest from your twitter feed. Write a letter to your friend and put it in the mail. Plant some flowers in your garden rather than tending to a fake farm on Facebook. Enjoy the little things in life. Today I accidently left my phone at home while I was at work. It was surprisingly refreshing, not constantly checking my phone, and just being left alone for the evening. I need to start doing this more. Right after I go tweet about this post.


Dr. Cressman showed us this video today. Kind of unnerving, eh?

No comments: